"Every time I leave the audio industry, I find I can
make alot more money...
but I just don't enjoy getting up in the morning." - Drake
Philbrook - 1983
He won't go away! I guess that means we're stuck with him.
To find out what we're in for, take a look inside the creative world
of Drake Philbrook, the CEO of Sprocket Development International.
Drake Philbrook - The Artist
Drake's creative passion stems from his lifelong
love of music. He is an accomplished musician, producer and audio
designer. His artistry has helped entertain people around the world.
Drake's accomplishments include:
Record Producer / Digital Editor
- Artist: The Greg Khin Band, Title:Un-Khin-Trollable
©1989 by Rhino Records, Catalog #R2 70932
Rock & Roll!!! Recorded live at a popular rock club in Marin
- Artist: Eric Doney, Title:The Piano
©1992 by Pacific Street Records, Catalog #PSR-0011
Compositions for Piano Recorded Direct to Digital at Mad Hatter
Studios, Hollywood, CA.
Digital Recording / Mastering Engineer
- Artist: Phil Woods Quintet, Title:Full House
©1992 by Milestone Records, Catalog #MCD-9196-2
Be-Bop at its best... Recorded live at Catalina's Bar & Grill,
Hollywood, CA .
- Artist: Chris Bennett, Title:Chris Bennett
©1993 by Beachwood Recordings, Catalog #2506-2.
Contemporary Jazz Vocalist.
Television Sound Effects Designer / Editor
- 1988 Star Trek - The Next Generation - Sound Effects and
Dialogue editing in association with Modern Sound, Hollywood,
- 1988-89 - Sound Effects Desing and Editing of Nationally Aired
Commercials for Budweiser, Coors, Chevrolet, Toyota, Pinnacle
Golf, Magic Mountain, Taco Bell, and many others.
Touring Concert Musician
- Member of several groups during the '60's, '70's and '80's,
including; 'Tangerine', 'Chain Reaction', 'Blitz', 'Dr. Hobbes',
'Masque', 'The Drake Philbrook Jazz Quintet (Featuring Harry the
Hipster)', and 'The Bop'. Shared venues with headliners including;
The Allman Brothers Band, Cheap Trick, BB King, Rare Earth, and
Drake Philbrook - The Computer Scientist and Product
It has been over ten years since Drake Philbrook put down his
guitar and joined the founding partners of Mellotron Digital Corp.
Since those early days, Drake has continued to focus on the
development, refinement and use of high-end digital audio systems, as
evidenced by the prolific body of work listed below.
Drake has become
one of the most highly respected design consultants in the pro-audio
industry. This year, Drake's most recent project, the Apogee
MasterTools Plug-In, was nominated for the Mix Magazine
A brief look at what Drake has been up to in the last
1988 / Present - President of Sprocket
Development International & DSP
General Consulting and Contract Development
for just about everyone in the audio industry.
Oh, yeah... we make our own stuff, too!
- 1994/96 - Apogee Electronics, Inc.- Design and
implementation of the MasterTools DSP plug-in
package for Pro-Tools. This design includes both user-interface,
low-level driver design, and Pro-Tools TDM interface.
- 1992/94 - Lexicon, Inc.- Design and implementation of a
software program to control their NuVerb NuBus audio
processing card and M300 Reverb unit via MIDI and their NuVerb
Reverb unit via NuBus I/O. This design includes both
user-interface, low-level driver design, and Pro-Tools TDM
- 1991/93 - Studer Editech - User-interface design and
implementation of MacMix 4.0 for Studer Editech. Design and
implementation of Record and Playback firmware for Dyaxis
- 1991 - Timeline- Design and implementation of a
'Programmers ToolBox' to interface Timelines product line to the
Macintosh. A CMX compatible Edit Decision List management
application built on top of the ToolKit.
- 1990/91 - 360 Systems - Designed and implemented the
firmware for the DigiCart. Developed romable multi-process,
interrupt driven system for controlling all aspects of real-time
digital audio recording, editing and playback to SCSI devices
using the OS-9 operating system running on a Motorola 68020. This
project required extensive modification and optimization of the
OS9-68K operating system.
- 1990/91 - Studer Editech - Software user-interface
design and implementation of real-time parametric equalization
routines and interfaces to a Motorola 56001 on a Macintosh NuBus
card for Studer Editech. Design and implementation of the
Dyaxis Event Editing module.
- 1990/93 - Panasonic - Design and development of a
'Programmer's ToolBox' for implementing hi-speed serial
communications between Macintosh and MS-DOS computers and the
Panasonic SV-3900 Digital Audio Tape Recorder using the
ES-Bus protocol. Ongoing technical support of the ToolKit.
- 1990 - Yamaha - Developed an MS-DOS software program
that interfaces the Yamaha DMP-7 digital audio mixer to
various video-editing systems. This project required translating
high speed (38.4 kBaud) serial data to MIDI commands for
controlling all parameters of the DMP-7.
- 1988 - Integrated Media Systems - Retained to
develop the film, television and radio markets for the
Dyaxis, a Macintosh based digital recording system developed
by Integrated Media Systems (Studer Editech, Inc.) in the Greater
Los Angeles area.
Placed systems with Modern Sound, Paramount Pictures, Weddington
Productions, Gannett Broadcasting, Legacy Broadcasting, and
several other major production houses. This market penetration was
instrumental in Studers' acquisition of IMS in 1989.
- 1988/96 - In House - Developer of Sprocket Development
Internationals product line including Track-ItÅ, a
Macintosh based software package that manages dialog and
sound-effects editing for film and television production. This
project required the design, development and testing of the
following software sub-systems on the Macintosh using C, assembly
and object-oriented-programming methods:
- Interrupt service routines for MIDI I/O and time stamping
with sub-millisecond accuracy
- SCSI routines for direct block-level disk I/O
- MIDI system-exclusive protocol specifications for
third-party peripheral devices
- B-tree management system for maintaining balanced B-tree
structures in RAM
Macintosh trap modification for the implementation of
multi-palette window management
- A Complete rewrite of the public-domain Dyaxis hard disk
recording system driver to improve performance and implement
real-time punch-in to existing files
- An internal MIDI timecode generator requiring direct
manipulation of the Macintosh VIA timer chip
- 1988/89 - Music Animals - Designed the networking
and control systems for Music Animals 5-studio digital recording
- Design and implementation of high-speed data transfer
systems for audio, digital audio and video, including an
automated switching matrix in a central machine room. This
required the development of a control program called
Patch-ItÅ for the 360 Systems AM/16-B Crosspoint
- Two bridged Macintosh/IBM PC networks utilizing an
active-star topology, Appletalk, DaynaTalk and Ethernet;
- A Multi-user database for tracking royalties for General
Hospital in FoxBase+/Mac (dBase), utilizing FoxBase's FoxCode
- Negotiations for the acquisition and funding of nearly
three million dollars of capital equipment.
1982-88 - Vice President / Director of Product Development
for Mellotron Digital Corporation
The Mellotron was the first musical instrument to
play recorded sounds. It had a distinctive sound that was popularized
by The Beatles, The Moody Blues, Genesis and countless others.
Responsibilities and accomplishments include overall product
development of computer/music software and digital-audio hardware
products, development of European sales distribution, recruitment of
other top industry professionals to fill key positions, and
company-wide trouble-shooting in the sales and engineering
Author of various software products including;
- The Virtual Instrument User InterfaceÅ utilizing
high-resolution graphics and touch-screen technology;
- A complete multi-user in-house order entry database on the
Macintosh which included customer and technical support tracking,
automated inventory control, and dealer/rep billing and commission
reporting implemented on a Wide Area Network;
- Various MS-DOS and UNIX based digital audio signal processing
- Low-level RS-422 and SCSI drivers, interrupt service routines,
68000 operating system for digital-audio.
1979-81 - Director of R&D for Advanced Technology and
Specializing in lightweight aircraft interior design.
Developed and patented the first all composite (fiberglass and
graphite) aircraft seat to receive FAA approval under contract with